- Cover FX Custom Cover Drops – I bought these a few weeks ago and am absolutely impressed (look for a review next week). They are pigment drops that you mix with any non-powder face product to create your own custom foundation! Love!
- Ardency Inn Modster Manuka Honey Enriched Pigments – These are absolutely gorgeous eye shadows! I have more than I care to admit. “Rose Gold” is shown in the picture (and it’s always sold out!), but I also love “Heaven,” “Hell,” and “Peacock.” I have my eye on “Copper” too!
- Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Eye Cream – I really love this eye cream! It’s a thick gel texture that is totally hydrating without being too heavy. I am prone to little bumps under my eyes (millia) and this has not caused any issues. My eyes are left so soft and supple, while theoretically helping with anti-aging.
- Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 30 – This is brand spankin’ new and I only have a sample right now, but it is phenomenal! I have a lot of texture issues, and this primer / sunscreen hybrid is hands down the best pore blurring product I have ever tried…and I’ve tried a lot! I’d grab it for the blurring factor alone, but with the added SPF and anti-aging benefits, it is a sure winner.
- Nails Inc. NailKale Superfood Base Coat – This is a fantastic base coat! It sounds gimmicky, but I really do feel like my nails are a bit stronger and in better condition when I use this base coat. And if the packaging alone isn’t nice enough for you, the brush on all of the newly packaged Nails Inc. polishes is spectacular! Wider, but not too wide and flat. This is another constantly sold out online product (check in stores ’cause it’s out right now too), but definitely check out any of the new Nails Inc. polishes – I have my eye on Abbey Road and the rest of the White Collection (only in stores) right now!
- Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipsticks – Oh, where do I begin? I love this new sheer formula so much that I currently have 6 ::blushes:: of the shades already! Though they are called “sheer,” they are by no means just a hint of tint. These pack a color punch, but in that nice almost stain-type way. Really comfortable on the lips as well.
- Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Brush – I usually hate dual-ended brushes, but this one is just so useful on both ends that I can look past the awkward storage issues. It is so soft and, of course, made with synthetic fibers. The slanted “contour” end works beautifully for applying and blending out contour powders, bronzers and blushes; the “highlight” end is perfecting for highlighting, contouring, setting under eyes, powdering the face, blush, do I need to keep going? Definitely a brush worth having in your arsenal!
- Cover FX Illuminator (Moonlight) – This is quite possibly the perfect highlight. It is not glittery or shimmery. It genuinely just creates that ethereal “lit-from-within” glow that everyone wants. The powder is so buttery soft and can be packed on with a finger for an inner eye highlight or used with a brush for a less intense, but strikingly beautiful sheen. It’s another one that’s often out of stock (like now, so check in stores).
- Nails Inc. Spring Summer Mini Gel Effect Collection – As I mentioned above, the Nails Inc. polishes are divine! Though these mini bottles don’t have that perfect brush (it’s an old-school thin rounded brush), the colors just scream Spring and Summer! This is one of the few nail polish sets that I have come across where I would honestly wear every single one of the colors.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara – Need I say more? I love this mascara so much that I’m not only willing to pay full price, but I actually don’t even want to try any other mascaras! My search for the perfect mascara is over. It’s the deepest of blacks, creates fantastic volume and length – my mom sometimes asks if I’m wearing false lashes with this on! – and is water-resistant without being impossible to remove. I’ve reviewed it here if you’d like to read more.
I will begin with the most expensive item and work my way down from there. So, the most expensive recommendation I have for you is the Physician’s Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara. This mascara retails for $9.95 and is available in 2 shades – Black and Ultra Black. It’s a good all-around mascara. It is NOT waterproof, so keep that in mind if you’re particularly teary eyed. It’s great for adding both volume and length without weighing lashes down or becoming crunchy.
No makeup bag…at least for my troublesome skin…would be complete without foundation. My current go-to is the Face Atelier Ultra Foundation. I find it to have a good medium buildable coverage that is neither too flat, nor too dewy (it can be applied lighter by using a Beauty Blender as well). It lasts wonderfully on my skin and I don’t find that my normal to combo skin gets too oily throughout the day. I usually just apply it with my fingers because it’s quick, easy, and it just works for me.
As I said, I thought I would begin the week by sharing with you why I choose to be cruelty free. Don’t get me wrong, I do from time to time mistake things as being cruelty free that are not. We all do. It kind of comes with the territory. But if I have a choice and I am able to purchase a cruelty free option, I certainly do my best to act accordingly. My reasoning is really quite simple. I love animals. There are few things that I love more than animals and the thought of harming them for something optional like cosmetics just breaks my heart. As a child I often thought that I wanted to be a veterinarian in order to help animals, but at the same time I knew that I couldn’t bear the idea of dealing with mistreated, abandoned, incurably ill and just generally suffering animals. It hurt too much to even consider. I know that as a veterinarian I would actually be doing my best to help those animals, but the thought just hurt too much. So, alas, I did not become a vet, but I still do what I can to help prevent unnecessary animal suffering by being a cruelty free consumer and, in some small way, an activist.