I’m not sure what got me started, but I’ve been working on a list of beauty tips and tricks that I personally think are great for everyone to know. No reviews. No specific product recommendations. Just plain old fashioned beauty tips and tricks that have probably been around since people discovered mirrors! 🤣 You’re all in luck as I’m not in a rambling mood, so we’re just going to get straight into my top 15 Beauty Tips & Tricks!
- When shampooing and/or conditioning hair in the shower, place your product-saturated hair in a shower cap to prevent water from immediately rinsing the product away. The heat from your scalp will also be more concentrated underneath that cap of nutrient-locking steam which can help conditioner to better penetrate the hair shaft!
- Always, always, always curl your eyelashes! This will help make your eyes look bigger, more open, more awake and your lashes will appear longer! Bonus tip: Apply eyeliner and eyeshadow after curling to prevent liners from smudging as well as shadows being removed or otherwise messed up by the curlers! 😃
- To get the maximum benefit from your moisturizers – for both body and face – apply whatever your preferred method of hydrating the skin while the skin is still slightly damp. The moisturizer and water bind together and better penetrate the skin!
- Looking for a quick, easy, gentle method for exfoliating your lips that also doesn’t cost an extra dime? Gently run your toothbrush over your lips for a great scrub!
- If you find your legs are easily irritated by razors, try using a good body scrub before shaving to help prevent the burn. I really don’t know why this makes a difference, but it certainly does for me! Bonus tip: Try Coconut Oil as your shaving “cream.” It won’t rinse away easily, it’s hydrating and it creates a fantastic barrier between the razor and the skin. Your razor can get a bit clogged, but run it directly under the shower stream and it will typically melt right away.
- Need to remove a deodorant stain in a pinch? Just rub the affected fabric against itself (preferably against a piece of the fabric not coated in deodorant). No more yucky white marks!
- Picked at a breakout? Put a dab of antiseptic cream on the affected area to help kill the bacteria you may have released and/or pushed into the skin as well as treat any broken skin. The blemish may not get much better any faster, but it will not get as red and inflamed as it would without the antibacterial treatment.
- ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear Sunscreen during the daylight hours! I know. You’ve heard it before, but seriously if you want to prevent premature aging, minimize sun damage, and defend against skin cancer, you need to wear something to block the sun’s rays all day every day! If you are anywhere with windows, you’re being exposed to UVA and UVB rays!
- Trying to really make your eyes pop? Use eyeshadows in colors that are the opposite of your eye color (or the closest you’re comfortable wearing). If you’re only comfortable with browns, try to pick browns with opposite undertones to your eye color. For instance: blue eyes go for oranges and yellows; green eyes go for reds, oranges, and warm purples (think burgundies); brown eyes are most flattered by purples, while hazel eyes can go with pretty much anything. For those hazel-eyes beauties, if you want to accentuate a specific tone in your eyes, go with the opposite of that eye color (if you want to bring out the green in your eyes, aim for the red, oranges and warm purples).
- Do NOT run your fingers through your hair while washing it! Steam from the hot water in the shower helps to open up pores and hair follicles which makes your hair more likely to be released from the root! 😱
- Try not to squeeze blemishes. Yes, we’ve all heard it and we’ve all done it. If you absolutely must, try to do so either after showering or steaming your face. Again, your pores are more open thanks to the steam and will more readily release that nastiness. Be careful though as skin can also bruise easier if you push too hard!!!
- Trying to lighten the coverage of a foundation you already own? Add a drop or two of beauty oil (make sure it’s safe for use on the face!) and you will create your own lighter coverage foundation that blends better and gives skin a bit of that healthy glow!
- To make eyes look bigger, brighter, more awake and less red, apply a nude eyeliner to the inner rim (the “waterline”) of your eye. This illusion makes a world of difference!
- Similarly, to make you top eyelashes look thicker and darker, place a dark eyeliner underneath your lashes on that tiny little rim of skin (known as “tightlining”). No one will ever know your “little secret!”
- To help make perfume last longer, spray it on the inside of your elbows (the opposite side where it bends). This prevents the scent from being washed off when you wash your hands throughout the day. This really works best when your arms are exposed, but it will last longer regardless. Similarly, you can spray perfume on the backs of your exposed knees as well to even better lengthen the life of your scent!
So there you have it! 15 beauty tips and tricks. I hope you’ve found a few of these helpful. Please feel free to share any of your favorite beauty “hacks” in the comments as well! We’d all love to hear them!